Brothers and lay people
Laity Continental Commissions Meeting at the Hermitage
From 3rd – 8th October fifty Brothers and lay people met in Notre-Dame de l’Hermitage to define proposals on the life of Marists of Champagnat, which will be presented at the 22nd General Chapter. Our Province was represented by Christian Diepold and Wolfgang Hacker, who are both teachers at the Maristenkolleg Mindelheim. Wolfgang is also the Province representative on the European “Brothers – Laity” Commission.
Wolfgang has sent the following account of the meeting.
From 3rd – 8th October this meeting was held at the Hermitage. 28 members of the 5 commissions (Europe, America, Asia, Africa, Pacific) and 22 guests worked together on the goals of the meeting:
– Present the General Chapter in Colombia 2017 with a set of proposals resulting from the experience of and reflection on the new relationship processes in the Institute.
– Enhance the laity’s sense of internationality throughout the Institute.
– Strengthen the international animation structure.
– Bring to closure the Champagnat Movement update process.
– Celebrate and enjoy the Marist places.
– Prepare the final synthesis of the lay Marist identity framework.
Some central contents of the proposals for the General Chapter are:
– Lay vocational itinerary (Being a Lay Marist)
– Connection – association
– Joint formation with the Brothers
– Lay articulation
– Communion between Brothers and laity
– Champagnat Movement of the Marist Family update
The presence of Superior General Brother Emili Turú at the beginning of the meeting and the participation of Brother Antonio Ramalho, a member of the General Council, underlined the importance of this meeting.
The inspiring atmosphere in the Hermitage, the caring mixed community of the Hermitage and the determination of the participants to formulate proposals, provided the basis for a good outcome, even if there was no final document done at the end of the meeting. The work will continue in the next month.
Wolfgang and Christian